Tuesday, July 28, 2009

KATIE THORNTON AUCKLAND ARTIST

THERE IS STILL A RAINBOW, BY KATIE THORNTON (2008) WATERCOLOUR AND GAUCHE ON PAPER 1400MM X 1400MM
"I THINK I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN ARTIST BUT IT TOOK AND TAKES COURAGE TO GIVE IT A GO."
KATIE THORNTON LIVES AND PAINTS IN AUCKLAND.SHE STUDIED HERE IN NZ AND DID A MASTERS DEGREE IN MELBOURNE. HER PAINTINGS ARE A COMBINATION OF BOLD COLOUR AND SENSITIVE HANDLING OF PAINT.
ME: DID YOU SPEND YOUR CHILDHOOD PAINTING AND DRAWING?
KATIE THORNTON:Yeah I did. I also have fond memories of doing other stuff too like making dough baskets, playing with Fimo, making felt objects and playing with Lego.
ME: DID YOU HAVE OTHER EARLIER AMBITIONS BESIDES BEING AN ARTIST?
KATIE THORNTON: I think I always wanted to be an artist but it took and takes courage to give it a go.
ME: WHEN DID YOU DECIDE TO BECOME AN ARTIST?
KATIE THORNTON:My first year of my art study I was like yep this is what I’m doing.
ME: WHO ARE THE ARTIST THAT YOU ADMIRE?
KATIE THORNTON: Mark Rothko, Wolfgang Laib, Cy Twombly, Agnes Martin, Donald Judd, Rosalie Gascoigne, van Gogh, Matisse, Anish Kapoor.
ME: HOW DO YOU WORK... DO YOU HAVE SEVERAL PAINTINGS ON THE GO OR DO YOU WORK ON A SINGLE PAINTING TILL COMPLETION?
KATIE THORNTON: I work on themes or series of works. I take a concept and stretch-develop it into different forms. I am very interested in process and excited about the learning that comes through making.
ME: IS PAINT, THE USE, COLOUR ETC. THE STARTING POINT FOR EACH PAINTING?
KATIE THORNTON: Yes, as in I LOVE paint. No, as in I can see ideas for a painting or colour combinations everywhere. I have recently done a pottery course which has stretched my thinking.
ME: YOUR BIO, ON YOUR WEB SITE, TALKS ABOUT A SENSE OF DISCOVERY, IN YOUR PAINTINGS. SENSE OF DISCOVERY WITH PAINT OR MORE INTROSPECTIVE. OR BOTH?
KATIE THORNTON: Both
ME:HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A PAINTING IS COMPLETE?
KATIE THORNTON
:The million $ question. You learn through doing. Sometimes you push a work too far and you know that you have lost something in the process. Other times you need to really push the work to get what you are looking for. I think intuition, respect of the process, and not being afraid to start and... stop is important.
ME: YOU ARE BASED IN KINGSLAND, CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW YOU HOPE TO CREATE A KINGSLAND COLLECTIVE OF ARTIST?
KATIE THORNTON: We run a community art space called ‘The Space’ on 3c Kingsland Tce. We aim for this to be a blank shell in which people can imagine and bring to life different projects. There are a couple of arts collectives that already run out of there; we’ve had meals there and the odd poker night.
We also hold exhibitions. These are opportunities for artists to show interesting or exploratory work that wouldn’t necessarily fit in a commercial gallery context.
The next exhibition ‘JARS’ opens on the 13th of August from 6pm-8pm and is also open on the 14th-16th of August from 11am-3pm.
If anyone is interested in showing in ‘The Space’ they can contact me at
email@katiethornton.co.nz
ME: ALSO FOR MORE INFORMATION ON KATIE VIEW www.katiethornton.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment