Monday, June 1, 2009

MIXITUP.CO.NZ'S CHRISTINE YOUNG

'I'M NOT TELLING READERS TO WEAR IT. I'M JUST PUTTING IDEAS OUT THERE"
CHRISTINE YOUNG RUNS THE AUCKLAND BASED FASHION, BEAUTY AND MUSIC WEBSITE MIXITUP.CO.NZ
ME:HOW LONG HAS MIXITUP BEEN IN EXISTENCE?
CHRISTINE YOUNG
:Coming up to its 5th Anniversary this August 09…
ME: WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO START A WEBSITE?
CHRISTINE YOUNG:
I thought of the idea when I couldn’t sleep one night (which was a regular occurrence in 2004 for me!) I am kinda geeky (I used to be a TV Editor), knew my way around a computer and of course loved fashion and beauty, so the idea was born. There wasn’t anyone doing what I wanted to do at the time – which was focus on how to look good on the cheap – which was the site’s original ethos. I guess in 2004 a lot of woman out there still thought that it took a lot of cash to look good. Oh how things have changed…
ME:DESCRIBE YOUR WEBSITE...
CHRISTINE YOUNG:
Really in a nutshell, the website is me. I only put on what I would wear myself, beauty products I like and music that I listen to. It’s really important to me that I stay that way as it sets me apart from all the other fashion websites out there. I don’t want a site just full of re-hashed press releases and social photos. Good writing is also important; I am a stickler when it comes to grammar! I am also very fussy about the look/style and layout of my site. I have two great writers who have a good understanding of what I want and keep with the image I want Mix It Up to have. My site has grown and changed a lot over the years. I now include things that cost more than I used to, my current obsession is Twilight, so I recently did a Vampire-themed spread, which was extremely enjoyable to work on!
ME: MIXITUP HAS A FRIENDLY PERSONAL RESPONSE TO FASHION, BEAUTY AND MUSIC. NO FASHION FASCISM IN REGARDS TO TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO WEAR?
CHRISTINE YOUNG:
Yes…and that has always been on purpose. I can’t stand these ‘what’s hot & what’s not’ & ‘up & down’ columns. I mean, really, whose business is it to tell you what’s cool and what’s not?! Not mine that’s for sure. I only put on my site what I like & find interesting, I’m not telling readers to wear it, I’m just putting ideas out there and if people like them and take inspiration from them – then I am happy.
ME: ORIGINALLY THE WEBSITE WAS ABOUT A MORE BUDGET ORIENTATED APPROACH TO FASHION AND BEAUTY. HAS THAT CHANGED?
CHRISTINE YOUNG:Yes, as I mentioned above – times have changed, only a few years back it was possible to walk into a vintage store and come out with some amazing, original 1950’s dresses for $60 each! Sadly, but also on a positive note, lots of people have cottoned onto vintage & cheaper ways to look good. Woman that would have never visited a chain store, now do and are actually proud to get a bargain. If something looks great on you, it now doesn’t matter if you got it from Karen Walker or Supre. So I guess I have grown with the idea that people are buying their clothes high and low end now, so the site is in line with that.
ME:YOUR FAVOURITE LABELS/STORES AND BEAUTY BRANDS?
CHRISTINE YOUNG: I have a very weak spot for my friend, Lara Parker’s store in Newmarket. She almost does two looks when she designs – a colourful, fun girl and then a darker, slightly gothic woman. I love the latter! I also like MADE, down on Customs Street, for all those preppy French labels – Lacoste, A.P.C and of course British label, Luella Bartley. I have a few things from Meadowlark Jewellery on my wish list - I am obsessed with what they do! I’m always on the lookout for a new, soft, well-cut t-shirt – I like the brand Somebody by Natalie Wood. Lee’s high rise jeans have been a staple for a few years too. My wardrobe has always been nearly all vintage, right now I’m trying to introduce some new clothes in there! I just brought two new winter coats from Ruby. I guess I am one of those ‘classic with a twist’ girls.
As far beauty & skincare goes I am a bit of a product slut. I’m always trying new things that hit my desk. I like Clarins skincare – it just seems to suit my skin. Prevage eye & night creams are amazing. I like M.A.C foundations & powders, Revlon & NARS lipsticks, L’Oreal do great mascaras and my saviour, Lucas’ Papaw Ointment for everything! I feel extremely spoilt as far as all the lovely things I get sent to try (and write about).
ME: WHERE IS THE WEBSITE GOING?
CHRISTINE YOUNG: The site has spent the last few years being quite ‘underground’, which in some ways I like as it’s like a little secret or a club for those who like what I write about. But obviously your site has to have lots of visitors to make money! So my website is in the process of being exposed to a lot more readers now – since I became one of flossie.com’s publishers. Where do I want my site to go? I want to be able to write all day, every day – which is what I love – and not have to work a full time job on the side, which is what I do now.


No comments:

Post a Comment