Monday, May 4, 2009

LYNSAY RAINE: THEORETICAL BLING


"I WANT TO PUSH THE IDEA OF WHAT YOU CLASSIFY AS JEWELLERY"
LYNSAY RAINE IS A BELFAST BORN JEWELLER. LAST YEAR LYNSAY GRADUATED FROM UNITECH AND HER WORK WAS SELECTED TO APPEAR IN OBJECT SPACE GALLERY'S "BEST OF" EXHIBITION. WHICH SHOWCASES THE BEST WORK OF GRAD DESIGN STUDENTS.
BACKGROUND
LYNSAY RAINE: I started a metal craft degree in Belfast, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do. So I traveled for 8 - 9 months, came to NZ, worked, got my residency and cross credited my degree at Uni Tech.
... I like the Uni Tech course because of the open approach to mixed media and cross disciplines. Rather than working purely in silver or whatever, having freedom from tradition.
ME: YOUR DEGREE WORK?
LYNSAY RAINE:I was looking at performance pieces and devices that needed to be stimulated by the human body in order to function. I made a glass bubble with a bubble blower at the end of it. I got the best feedback from that and I enjoyed making it. I wanted to move on from there and started work on the "suggestive apparatus" - there is some suggestion of function and some suggestion of form but you aren't too sure what its all about.
But the main basis of my work was the idea of devices that encapsulate human breath - looking at an action that we take for granted and looking at how to preserve it. Making these artifacts that neither historical nor science fiction and ambiguous and suggestive in their appearance.
ME: YOU CREATE JEWELLERY THAT ISN'T WEARABLE...
LYNSAY RAINE: I like the idea of pushing around the idea of what jewellery is. I'm interested in the angle of jewellery being some kind of added value to you, that relates to the body. Like amulets, charms or even medical bracelets. Then there are the extensions to the human body, like for example a person smoking a pipe. I want to push the idea of what you classify as jewellery - things that are extensions of the body.
ME: WHATS YOUR FUTURE PLANS FOR YOUR WORK?
LYNSAY RAINE: I could do a bread and butter range of jewellery just to keep me going. But I've resisted that because I don't want to get distracted. I want to keep pushing my ideas that I started at Uni Tech. Continuing that body of work and delving deeper into the use of the human body as inspiration.
.... So, I'm not intending to make money from my jewellery work over the next year, ha ha! But maybe once I've got to a certain point then maybe I can refine those ideas.
But at the moment I don't want to limit what I do, to make money.




No comments:

Post a Comment